Most of us have heard that drinking at least eight to ten glasses of water a day is recommended in order to maintain good health but…why? I believe it’s important to know what adequate water intake can do for our body mentally, physically and emotionally. The list is extensive but let’s starts with these:
- Water helps create healthier, younger looking skin. Water keeps our body hydrated and helps to replenish skin tissues, moisturizes skin and increases its elasticity. Our skin will also be less likely to suffer from soft lines, scars, acne, wrinkles or other aging symptoms. It is the largest organ in our body…let’s treat it right!
- Water increases energy. Inadequate water consumption leads to fatigue because it impacts the flow of oxygen to the brain. Also, when there is less water in the body, the heart needs to work more to pump out the oxygenated blood to all cells which can then exhaust other major organs.
- Water improves the immune system. A good immune system means our body can fight against ailments such as flu, kidney stones, and even heart attacks effectively. We need water to function properly as almost every cell present in our body needs it. Water also aids in the production of lymph which the immune system uses to circulate white blood cells and nutrients to all of the body’s tissues.
- Water reduces stress. Studies show that dehydration causes a higher cortisol level which is known as “the stress hormone”. Hydrating our body with water on a consistent daily basis will help reduce these levels.
- Water produces normal bowel function. Daily water intake keeps things flowing along your gastrointestinal tract and inhibits constipation. When we don’t drink enough water, the colon pulls water from stools to maintain hydration. This results in constipation. Since waste also is flushed through urine and sweat, low levels of water causes waste to collect resulting in an array of issues.
Your Plan of Action:
As we saw above, one of the easiest ways to maintain and even improve your health is to start drinking more pure water every day. Without a plan of action, most good intentions remain just that…intentions. Let’s take a look at how to begin today:
- Drink water on an empty stomach. Consuming water with meals dilutes your digestive enzymes making your digestion less effective.
- Drink room temperature water. Cold water shocks our system and makes blood vessels contract making our body work harder to digest which creates a less natural digestive process.
- Keep a supply with you everywhere you go. Begin a habit of carrying water with you to work, the gym, etc. Fill it up first thing in the morning and keep track of your consumption throughout the day.
Keeping these things in mind helps motivate us to give our body what it needs. Trust me when I say…your body will love you back!